Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Blog: The Introduction

This my blog. Something I thought I would never do. It's, mainly, about politics in general. Although I tend to focus on what I see as infringements of civil liberties by  the government, especially pursuant to the First, Second, fourth, fifth and 14th Amendment. With an eighth amendment comment thrown in.


My writing is as well researched as I have time to do, (I actually have a life), and I try to source as much as I can. I am not a professional writer, although at one time in my life I got paid to write. I think my grammar is fairly good - I mean I can reach all the keys on my keyboard, so I shouldn't have any problems, right? That said, I love commas, (they give me time to think); hate apostrophes; love semi-colons and colons. Even if used improperly.


My writing style includes a lot of sarcasm. This is because so much of what our government does warrants sarcasm. Some of what the press does, too. And because I am a very sarcastic person.


I am not a registered republican or democrat. I did not vote for McCain or Obama in the last presidential election. I, sometimes, may be perceived as coming down on one side or the other, but I am an equal opportunity critic living in a target rich environment. Who hates stupidity; waste; incredibly bad decisions that have to be paid for with tax money; pompous asses who believe that the presidency is some sort of license to kill; attacks against sovereign nations in violation of the Nueremburg Charter and Geneva Convention; and any other standards guaranteeing basic human rights, (including, but not limited to), the right to communicate via the Internet.


I generally speak out about religious fascism. I don't care which kind of religious fascism. Like I said, I am an equal opportunity critic


What else? Hmmmmmmm I use Apple computers, which my friends tell me makes me a snob. I love my iPad. I had to send it into be fixed a couple of weeks ago and I was without it for like three days. I went into withdrawals. I mean, shit, I had to pull out my MacBook Pro. If you don't have an iPad get one. If you can't afford a new one, buy mine so I can afford to buy an iPad 2.


Another thing, I don't have any video games. Other than Tetris on my iPad. I have been playing Tetris on one computer or another since the eighties. I am too old to stop now. So, I am likely to be completely clueless about anything that happens in Grand Theft Auto or any video game featuring CareBears.


I don't have a TV. Which is a pain, sometimes.  Because of this I tend to be somewhat slow on the uptake with popular culture references after, say, 1969. I do have Netflix streaming, (I was going to put in a link to Netflix, but I think they are getting along pretty well without getting gratuitous links that they aren't paying for. Hear that Netflix? Give me free streaming and I will put links to you in my blog. Hell, I'll make up entire posts about your service.) This means I am an expert on televisions shows that were released 5-10 years ago. I have watched every episode of Law & Order: SVU ever made. I have no idea why, but I have. I like that guy on the History channel that goes fishing for bizarre fish and catches things like 150lb. catfish and 200lb. freshwater stingrays and then complains they are too small.


Actually, I am really kind of jealous of the fish guy. He get's paid to go all over the world and catch fish. I don't even fish and I'd love to get his gig. I've never seen the Amazon, so that would be a plus, too. The Goliath Tiger Fish he caught makes me less likely to go in the water than any shark. Doesn't it look sort of like Sara Palin thinks she looks? Momma grizzly hell, I'd be more frightened by the Tiger fish. But, I digress...


I try to read the websites of the New York Times, (and, no, I won't be subscribing for it once it goes behind a pay wall), The Miami Herald, Slate.com, Salon.com and, occasionally, the LA Times every morning. If you have an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch get the Fluent News aggregator. It is, hands down, the best news aggregator this news junky has ever used.


I post a lot to Internet forums and some of the things you read here will have been posted on forums before they make it here. Some of what is posted here, will make it to Internet forums.


Oh, and I don't like surveillance cameras; my phones being tapped; my travel being restricted; or any other tools of the national security state or our burgeoning police state.


I don't have a cell phone. I am categorically opposed to cell phone towers. I believe in privacy when I am on the move - this means I will never buy a General Motors vehicle with OnStar. Hear that GM, I think I'd rather have my car stolen than let you know exactly where I am at all times. Data you will happily give to the government whenever they ask.


I won't post anyone's name unless it is in the mainstream press and/or I have their direct personal consent to do so. I will quote sources from news articles so the authors get their due props.


I won't blog regularly. But, if you are a manufacturer of a product who wants me to review your product, let me know. Please start with an iPhone 4 or iPad 2 that I get to keep after the review. I mean, Apple, I've bought hundreds of your computers, printers and software for the networks I have built and maintained over the years, the least you could do it through me an iPhone and an iPad 2. After that time you sold me a 512k 'fat Mac' a day before you started selling Macintosh Pluses, you owe, big time.


Oh, and sometime, soon, I will tell you the story of the Montana Vigilance Society; Henry Plummer and my love of the history of the west in the 19th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment